What is the security surrounding Online File Folder
jjm02351 said 2 years, 2 months ago:
Online File Folder is advertised as “secure”. Please give some more info on this. What security is in place to protect my data from prying eyes/hackers? Is there a low level of encryption that is automatically applied? Why doesn’t your backup client offer to encrypt before transmitting?
staceyh said 2 years, 2 months ago:
@jjm02351 Our Online File Folder services are encrypted with a 256-bit SSL. If you’re unfamiliar with the way that SSL encryption for sites work, the following takes place:
• The visitor’s browser requests a secure session from the server on which the website is stored.
• The server responds by sending the visitor’s browser a digital copy of its server certificate.
• The visitor’s browser verifies that the server’s certificate is valid, is being used by the website
for which it was issued, and has been issued by a Certificate Authority that the browser trusts.
• If the certificate is validated, the browser generates a one-time “session” key and encrypts it
with the server’s public key.
• The visitor’s browser sends the encrypted session key to the server so that both server and
browser have a copy.
• The server decrypts the session key using its private key.
• The SSL “handshake” process is complete, and a secure connection has been established.
• A padlock icon and “https://” prefix appear in the visitor’s browser bar, indicating that a
secure session is under way.