Backordering Your Monitored Domain Names
If you added Domain Monitoring to a domain name, you can also place a backorder on the domain name to attempt to register it if it becomes available. Or, if it's listed for auction, the backorder gives you instructions on how to participate in the auction.
When you purchase Domain Backorders, you can set your backorders as public or private. Private backorders protect your personal information by not listing it in the Whois database.
If the backorder is not successful, you can reassign it to another domain name or request a refund from our support team.
For more information about the backorder process, see What are Domain Backorders?
NOTE: Certain country-code top-level domain names (ccTLDs), such as .us, have residency requirements. If you want to backorder a ccTLD, see About ccTLDs (Country-Code Domain Names) to find the Help article with its residency requirements.
To Backorder Your Monitored Domain Names
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Next to Domains, click Launch.
- From the Buy/Sell menu, select Backorders and Monitoring.
- Select the domain name(s) you want to modify.
- Click Upgrade to Backorder. The Upgrade Domain Monitoring to Backorder window displays.
NOTE: If you do not have available backorder credits, click Buy Credit. In the Domain Backorders section, for Select Quantity, enter the number of credits you want to purchase. For Backorder type, select Public Registration or Private Registration, and then click Add to Cart. Complete the checkout process, and then go back to the Domain Manager to continue.
- For Backorder type, select one of the following:
- Public — Lists your personal contact information in the Whois database.
- Private — Publishes proxy contact information in the Whois database. For more information, see What is the difference between public and private domain name registration?
- Select I have read and agree to ... , and then click Next.
- If necessary, edit your contact information, and then click Next.
- If you selected Private as the backorder type, for Select your Domains By Proxy® account, do one of the following:
- If you already have an account with Domains By Proxy (DBP) that you want to use, select it from the list.
- Create New — Select this option if you do not have an existing DBP account. DBP creates a new account for you, and then emails you the user name, password, and a link to the DBP website. Please retain this information for future reference!
- Other Existing DBP Account — If you have an existing DBP account that you want to use but it does not display in the list, select this option, and then enter your login information in the User Name and Password fields.
- If you selected Private as the backorder type, select I have read the Domain Name Proxy Agreement ... , and then click Next.
Your backordered domain name displays on the Backorders and Monitoring page of the Domain Manager.
Your message was successfully sent.
There was an error in sending your message, please try again.
Have a question about the content of this article?