Installing MSDE on a Windows Virtual Private Server
The following only applies to Windows® Virtual Private Servers (VPS) not running Windows Server 2008. Windows Server 2008 does not support MSDE.
While the MSDE is pre-installed on the Windows Dedicated Servers by default, it is not pre-installed on our Virtual Private Servers (VPS). However, it is fairly easy to install and configure.
To Install MSDE on Windows Virtual Private Servers (VPS)
- Log in to the server using Remote Desktop.
- From the Start menu, go to Control Panel > Add Remove Programs.
- Select the listing for Parallels Plesk Panel and click Change.
- Expand the Database Management section and click X next to either Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition or Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine.
- Select Will be installed on local hard drive.
- Click Next and then click Install.
Once installed, the fields on the Databases page under Plesk Server are automatically populated. Note: The password is not the default Parallels Plesk Panel password.
To Find the Password in MySQL
- Log in to Parallels Plesk Panel as "admin" and select Server > Databases.
- On the Databases page, select the MySQL tab and fill in the appropriate fields. (localhost:8306, admin, Parallels Plesk Panel password).
- Open the MySQL RootWebAdmin tool.
- Browse to and open the file psa.misc.
- On the last page, locate the mssql_admin_passwd field to find the MSSQL sa password.
To Find the Password in MSSQL
- Log in to the MySQL RootWebAdmin.
- In the list of databases on the left, select the psa database.
- In the SQL field, located below the phpmyadmin logo in the upper left, type SELECT * FROM `misc` WHERE `param` ='mssql_admin_passwd';. The MSSQL sa password is returned.
To Reset the MSSQL sa Password (without knowing the current password)
- In the command line, change the directory to: C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server80ToolsBinn.
- Type OSQL -S localhost –E.
- Type SP_PASSWORD NULL , 'newpassword','sa' (replace 'newpassword' with your database's new password).
- Type GO.
- Log in to Parallels Plesk Panel and go to Server > Databases > Microsoft SQL Server.
- Change the 'sa' password setting.
How do I install software on my Windows Virtual Private Server?
What can I install on my Windows Virtual Private Server?
Are there any restrictions on the content I can keep on my Virtual Private Server account?
Rebooting Your Windows Virtual Private Server
Can I install a third-party control panel on my VPS?
Synchronizing Your Server's Passwords
Your message was successfully sent.