Changing Your Password on a VPS or Dedicated Server
If you forget your server's Remote Desktop (Windows) or SSH (Linux) password, we can help you reset it.
Virtual Private Servers (VPS)
You can change your Windows server's password using Remote Desktop Connection.
To Change Your Password on a Windows Server
- Launch Remote Desktop Connection.
- Enter the IP address for your server. You can find your IP address in your Dedicated/VPS Control Panel.
- Enter your user name and password:
- user Name
- Use either "Administrator" or the User ID you defined when you set up your account.
- As defined during account setup.
- From the Start menu on your Windows server, select Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
- In the Computer Management Window, select the Users.
- Right-click on the account you want to modify and select Set Password.
- Read the warning message and click Proceed.
- Enter your new password and then enter it again to confirm. Click OK to finish making the change.
You can change your Linux server's password using SSH.
To Change Your Password on a Linux Server
- Using SSH (PuTTY), log in to your server with the User ID and Password that you created when you set up your dedicated/Virtual Private account.
- At the command line type
passwdand the name of the account you want to change. For example:[username@ip_address]# passwd user_you_want_to_change
Changing password for user user_you_want_to_change.
(current) UNIX password: ********
New UNIX password: ********
Retype new UNIX password: ********
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
NOTE: If you change the root password, Linux will warn you if your password is not considered a strong password, but still make the change.
You can log into your account and use the VPS Control Panel to change your password.
To Change Your Password Using the Dedicated Hosting Manager
- Log into your Account Manager.
- Click Servers.
- Next to the server you want to use, click Launch.
- Under Support, select Reset Password.
- Enter your new password. Allow the system up to 30 minutes for the change to take effect.
If you forget your dedicated server's password, we can provide it to you over the phone. Please call the Support number listed on our help page.
Can I use FastCGI with Perl?
Is there a way for me to start over with my dedicated server?
Which php libraries are installed by default on my Dedicated Server?
What can I do with a dedicated server?
How do I run updates on my dedicated server?
Can I Run Windows Update on My Dedicated Windows Servers?
Your message was successfully sent.