Outlook 2007: Setting up Email
We know you're excited to get your email set up on your computer. We offer a variety of ways to help you through this process below: written step-by-step instructions, a screen-by-screen walk through, a video that shows you the whole process, or the Outlook Setup tool that does everything for you automatically. Ideally, 5 minutes is all you need to get your email working in Outlook 2007.
BEFORE YOU START: To set up Outlook with your email, you need to know your POP or IMAP Email Server Settings and ports. To find them, go to the InfoCenter and write down the information that displays under Email Server Settings.
To manually set up your email account, just follow the instructions below.
To Set up Email in Outlook 2007
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2007. From the Tools menu, select Account Settings.
- Click New.
- Select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP, and then click Next.
- Enter Your Name, E-mail Address, Password, and password confirmation.
- At the bottom, select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click Next.
- Select Internet E-mail, and click Next.
- Select either IMAP or POP3 for your Account Type. Use these settings for your incoming and outgoing servers, depending on the type of email you have:
POP3 Incoming mail server pop.secureserver.net Outgoing mail server (SMTP) smtpout.secureserver.net IMAP Incoming mail server imap.secureserver.net Outgoing mail server (SMTP) smtpout.secureserver.net
- Enter Your Name and full E-mail Address.
- Enter your User Name (your full email address) and Password, and select Remember password.
- Click More Settings.
- Click the Outgoing Server tab. Select My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and Use same settings as my incoming server.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Next to Outgoing Server (SMTP), type 80.
- Optional: If you're setting up a POP3 account, under Delivery, select Leave a Copy of Messages on the Server.
- Click OK.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.
That's it. Go ahead and check your email. If you don't see any messages, press F9 on your keyboard. To make sure you can send messages, try composing an email and sending it to yourself.
The Microsoft® Outlook® Setup Tool automatically configures your email account with Outlook. For the tool to work, your email must be hosted through us, you need to have Outlook installed on your computer, and you need to open Outlook at least once.
To Use The Outlook Setup Tool
- Download the Outlook Setup Tool, install it, and then run it.
NOTE: The Outlook Setup Tool is an executable file that you will need to save to your computer, and then launch.
- If applicable, select the email client you want to set up.
- Enter Your Name. This displays in the From field of your email messages.
- Enter your Email Address you want to use with this account.
- Enter your Password.
- If you want to access your email in Workspace Webmail, confirm that Leave a copy of messages on the server is selected.
- Click Set Up Account.
- Click OK.
Some Internet service providers might not accept the Outlook Setup Tool's default settings; you might need to manually edit them. For more information, see Troubleshooting Problems Connecting to Email in Outlook Express.
The Outlook Setup Tool supports the following operating systems and email programs:
If you're not receiving email messages or you can't send messages, see Outlook 2007: Troubleshooting. Don't worry. There are a few things that can happen during the setup process. We'll help you investigate and fix them.
Your message was successfully sent.
There was an error in sending your message, please try again.
Have a question about the content of this article?