Transferring Domain Names to Another Registrar
The process for transferring domain names from your account with us to another registrar partially depends on your new registrar.
If you are moving your domain name from one account with us to another, see Moving a Domain Name Out of Your Account.
NOTE: A 60-day transfer restriction period applies when you register or transfer a domain name, update the registrant contact's organization, or update the registrant contact's first or last name and an organization is not listed. For more information, see ICANN's Policy on Transfer of Registrations Between Registrars and our Domain Name Change of Registrant Agreement.
To Transfer Domain Names to Another Registrar
- Advise your administrative contact that you are transferring the domain name, and verify that your administrative contact information is valid. If you are transferring a .au domain name to a different registrar, you must verify that the email associated with your registrant contact is accurate. For more information, see
Updating Your Domain Name Contact Information.
NOTE: If you have Domains By Proxy® (DBP) Private Registration, see Updating Contact Information for Domain Names with Privacy for information on viewing and updating your domain name contact information.
- If applicable, cancel your Protected Registration or DBP Private Registration. For more information, see Canceling Protected Registration or Canceling Private Registration for Your Domain Names.
- Unlock your domain name. See Locking and Unlocking Your Domain Names for more information.
- Check with your new registrar to see if you need an authorization code. (Some domain name extensions do not require this code.) If you need an authorization code, see Getting an Authorization Code to Transfer Your Domain Name.
NOTE: For .eu domain name transfers, the authorization code is not required but can expedite the transfer. For more information, see Transferring .eu Domain Names to Us.
- Initiate the domain name transfer at your new registrar. You might need to consult the other registrar's Help or support for specific instructions.
- Authorize the transfer in your account with the new registrar.
- The registry notifies us, and then we email you instructions to complete the transfer. If you do not accept or deny the transfer request in your account with us within five days, we automatically complete the transfer. See Accepting or Declining a Transfer to Another Registrar for more information.
- The registry notifies your new registrar of the transfer's acceptance or rejection.
- We email you confirmation when the transfer completes. A transfer between registrars takes five to seven days to complete after you authorize it.
How do I get an authorization code to transfer my domain name to you?
Domain Name Transfer FAQ
Understanding Pending Transfers in the Domain Manager
Locking and Unlocking Your Domain Names
Getting an Authorization Code to Transfer Your Domain Name
How do I resend the transfer IDs to my updated admin email address?
Your message was successfully sent.