Archiving Files and Directories with Your Hosting Account
NOTE: Before you start, click here to see which version of the FTP File Manager is in your Control Panel. This help article applies to the Classic FTP File Manager. If you are using the New FTP File Manager, see Archiving Files and Directories with Your Hosting Account
As your hosting account grows in size, the ability to compress and archive files assists in easier account maintenance and file storage. Additionally, by compressing items in this way, you can upload and download multiple files and directories through the FTP File Manager. You can compress and archive files and directories using the FTP File Manager located within the Control Panel in your hosting account.
To Archive Files and Directories
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Click Web Hosting.
- Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Launch.
- From the Tools section, click FTP File Manager.
- Select the files and directories you want to archive.
- Click the Archive icon in the action bar.
- Enter the required information:
- Select Destination:
- Enter the name of a new or existing destination folder or click Browse to navigate to an existing directory into which you want to archive the selected items.
NOTE: Clicking Browse opens the Select Destination window where you must select a destination folder into which to directly archive the items or create a new folder within the selected destination folder.
- Archive Name:
- Enter a name for this archive file.
- Archive Type:
- Select the archive type.
Zip (.zip) - This is used for Windows or Linux hosting accounts.
Tar GZip (tar.gz) - This is used for Linux hosting accounts.
- Password (optional):
- This field is only available for Zip archive compression and offers the option of password protecting your compressed archive file.
- Overwrite existing file:
- Select this option to overwrite any archived files or directories with the same name as those you are archiving within the selected destination directory.
- Click OK.
NOTE: You can only archive up to 20MB of data.
Your archive file is compressed and saved in the selected destination directory.
For information on the unarchiving process, see Unarchiving Files and Directories.
Sorting the File List in the FTP File Manager
Creating Symbolic Links with Linux Hosting Accounts
Using the Drag and Drop Feature in the FTP File Manager
Setting Directory Permissions with Linux Hosting Accounts
Using the FTP File Manager Filmstrip Feature
Uploading Files Using the FTP File Manager
Your message was successfully sent.
There was an error in sending your message, please try again.
Have a question about the content of this article?