Password Protecting a Directory in Your Shared Hosting Account
This article only applies to Web Hosting. For more information, see What type of hosting account do I have?
NOTE: Before you start, click here to see which version of the FTP File Manager is in your Control Panel. This help article applies to the Classic FTP File Manager. If you are using the New FTP File Manager, see Password Protecting a Directory in Your Shared Hosting Account
The Password Protect feature lets you limit Web access to your hosting account directories. When enabled, users must provide a valid user name and password when first accessing documents in the protected directory.
NOTE: This article applies only to Linux Shared Hosting accounts.
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Click Web Hosting.
- Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Launch.
- From the Tools section, click FTP File Manager.
- Select the directory or directories for which you'd like to set permissions.
- Click the Permissions icon.
- Select the Password Protect tab.
- Select Password protect directory.
- In the Password Prompt field, enter the message you would like to display to prompt users to enter a user name and password to access the directory.
- If you already have users listed, select the ones to whom you'd like to provide access to the directory. If you'd like to add a user, please follow the directions listed below.
- Click OK.
- In the Password protect tab in the Set Permissions section of FTP File Manager, ensure Password protect directory is selected.
- Click Add Users.
- Enter a User Name and Password for the user you'd like to add.
- Click Create User.
- Repeat steps 3-4 for each user to add.
- If you want users to have access the directory you originally selected, select them.
- Click OK.
For assistance setting the permissions on a Linux directory, see Setting Directory Permissions with Linux Hosting Accounts.
Finding Your PHP Version with Linux Hosting or Dedicated Servers
What is a web.config file?
Windows Hosting PHP Support
Which permissions can my Linux hosting account use?
Which form mailers can I use with my Windows hosting account?
How Can I Redirect an iTunes RSS Feed to Another Location?
Your message was successfully sent.
There was an error in sending your message, please try again.
Have a question about the content of this article?