Forwarding or Masking Your Domain Name
Domain name forwarding lets you automatically direct your domain name's visitors to a different website.
Masking prevents visitors from seeing your domain name forwarding by keeping your domain name in the Web browser's address bar.
Let's look at this example of how you can configure forwarding.
|Forwarding Option||Visitor Goes To||Site Visitor Sees||Address Bar Displays|
To forward or mask your domain name, you must use our nameservers. For more information, see Setting Nameservers for Your Domain Names.
For your domain name to forward, its A record must be pointed to
18.104.22.168. For more information, see Updating Your Domain Name's IP Address for Forwarding.
To Forward or Mask Your Domain Name
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Next to Domains, click Launch.
- Select the domain names you want to forward.
NOTE: You cannot forward or mask .tk domain names.
- Click Forward, and then select Forwarding Domains.
- Click Add Forwarding.
- Select http:// or https:// as your Forward to option. For more information, see HTTP vs. HTTPS.
- Enter the URL you want to forward your domain name to.
- Select your Redirect type
- 301 (Permanent) — Redirects to the site you specified in the Forward To field using a "301 Moved Permanently" HTTP response. The HTTP 301 response code tells user-agents (including search engines) that the location has permanently moved.
- 302 (Temporary) — Redirects to the site you specified in the Forward To field using a "302 Found" HTTP response. The HTTP 302 response code tells user-agents (including search engines) that the location has temporarily moved.
- Select your Forward settings
- Forward only — Forwards the domain without masking.
- Forward with Masking — Prevents the forwarded domain name URL from displaying in the browser's address bar, and lets you enter Meta Tags for search engine crawlers in the following fields:
- Title — Displays at the top of the browser window and in search results.
- Description — A short description of your website to display in search engine results.
- Keyword — A list of comma-separated keywords that describes the content and purpose of your website.
- To automatically update your nameservers to accommodate your forwarding changes, check Update my DNS setting to support this change.
- Click Add, and then click Save.
NOTE: Forwarded domain names can take up to 24-48 hours to activate.
Your message was successfully sent.
There was an error in sending your message, please try again.
Have a question about the content of this article?