Third-Party Website Creation and FTP Documentation for Your Shared Hosting Account
Numerous third-party applications exist for the creation and/or uploading of files to your Windows or Linux shared hosting account website. To use these applications, you will need the following FTP settings on hand:
- FTP User Name
- The user name for your hosting account. For more information, see Finding Your Hosting/FTP Login or User Name.
- FTP Password
- The password for your hosting account. If you don't know your FTP password, see Changing Your Hosting Account (FTP/Panel) Password and Username.
- website URL
- Remote website Location or Remote FTP Host
- Depending on your FTP application, any of the following may be valid:
- Root Directory
- Leave blank or enter a subdirectory off the root.
For help with a specific FTP application, see the following resources:
Using Internet or Windows Explorer to Upload Your Site with Windows XP
Why would I need additional (File Transfer Protocol) FTP users?
Connecting to Your Shared Hosting Account with FTP-SSL
Using Windows Vista to Upload Your Site
Using Microsoft Expression Web to Upload Your Site
What is File Transfer Protocol (FTP)?