Why did the site on my VPS or Dedicated Server stop working?
How do I fix it?
You need to log in to your control panel and modify the affected domain name's zone file, using the table below as an example.
To Modify or Add DNS Records in Parallels Plesk Panel
- Log in to Parallels Plesk Panel as an "admin".
- From the list of domains at the bottom of the page, click the domain name you want to work with.
- Under the Services group, click the DNS button.
- To add a DNS entry, select the type of record you want to create and click Add.
To Modify or Add DNS Records in Simple Control Panel
- Log in to Simple Control Panel.
- Click the DNS button on the main screen.
- Click the Edit icon (the pencil) to the right of the domain name you want to modify.
- Change the desired A and NS records and save the changes.
To Modify or Add DNS Records in cPanel
- Log in to cPanel at http://yourdomainnamehere.com/cpanel.
- In WHM, click DNS Functions, and then select Edit DNS Zone.
- Click the domain you want to modify then click Edit.
- Enter the new DNS information then click Save.
Assuming your domain name is coolexample.com and your IP address is 22.214.171.124, your zone file needs to have the following NS and A records to resolve properly:
Where ns1 and ns2.yournameserver.com are the nameservers your domain name is pointing to.
If you have an NS record without a corresponding A record, add the A record and make sure it points to the site's IP address.
NOTE: If your zone file is set up correctly, and your site stopped working after March 1st, 2010, you might be affected by VeriSign's change to circular nameserver references.
Why was this change made?
If a domain name's zone file has an NS record without a corresponding A record, a third party can create their own A record for your NS record. That means they can redirect traffic to a location of their choosing, a major security loophole.
Where can I get more information?
You can read more about these changes on VeriSign's website: http://www.verisign.com/domain-name-services/domain-information-center/dns-behavior/.
Managing Your DNS Zone Files in Parallels Plesk Panel
Creating a Zone File for Your Domain in Parallels Plesk Panel
What risks are associated with recursive DNS queries?
How do I disable recursive DNS queries on my Windows server with Parallels Plesk Panel?
How do I disable recursive DNS queries on my Linux VPS or Dedicated Server?
Creating and Registering Domain Hosts for Domains on Your Virtual Private Server
Your message was successfully sent.
There was an error in sending your message, please try again.
Have a question about the content of this article?