Setting up Domain Backorders
If you want to capture a domain name that someone else currently has registered, you can place a backorder. Domain Backorders attempts to register the domain name if it becomes available. Or, if the domain name is listed for auction, Domain Backorders gives you instructions on how to participate.
When you purchase a backorder, you can set it as public or private. Private backorders protect your personal information by not listing it in the Whois database.
If the backorder is not successful, you can reassign it to another domain name or request a refund from our support team.
For more information about the backorder process, see What are Domain Backorders?
NOTE: Certain country-code top-level domain names (ccTLDs), such as .us, have residency requirements. If you want to backorder a ccTLD, see About ccTLDs (Country-Code Domain Names) to find the Help article with its residency requirements.
To Set up Domain Backorders
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Next to Domains, click Launch.
- From the Buy/Sell menu, select Backorders and Monitoring.
- Click Add Backorders. The Backorder Domains window displays.
- For Backorder type, select one of the following:
- Public — Lists your personal contact information in the Whois database.
- Private — Publishes proxy contact information in the Whois database. For more information, see What is the difference between public and private domain name registration?
- Select I have read and agree to ... , and then click Next.
- Enter the domain name(s) you want to backorder (one per line), and then click Next.
- Complete the following, and then click Next:
- Email address 1 — Enter the email address you want us to send status-change notifications to.
- (Optional) Email address 2 — Enter the secondary email address you want us to send status-change notifications to.
- If necessary, edit your contact information, and then click Next.
- From the Number of credits to use list, select the number of credits you want to apply, and then click Next.
NOTE: The credits in the list are the number you have available for the transaction. If you do not have enough credits, we take you to the shopping cart to complete the purchase.
- If you selected Private as the backorder type, for Select your Domains By Proxy® account, do one of the following:
- If you already have an account with Domains By Proxy (DBP) that you want to use, select it from the list.
- Create New — Select this option if you do not have an existing DBP account. DBP creates a new account for you, and then emails you the user name, password, and a link to the DBP website. Please retain this information for future reference!
- Other Existing DBP Account — If you have an existing DBP account that you want to use but it does not display in the list, select this option, and then enter your login information in the User Name and Password fields.
- If you selected Private as the backorder type, select I have read the Domain Name Proxy Agreement ... , and then click Next.
- If you need to purchase backorder credits or DBP Private Registration, continue through the checkout process.
Your backordered domain name displays on the Backorders and Monitoring page of the Domain Manager.
What does the status of a domain name mean?
Backordering Your Monitored Domain Names
Does Domain Backorders guarantee domain name registration?
What is Investor's Edge?
How often will I receive Domain Monitoring notifications?
Changing a Backorder to a Different Domain Name
Your message was successfully sent.
There was an error in sending your message, please try again.
Have a question about the content of this article?