Outlook 2010: Setting up Email
We know you're excited to get your email set up on your computer. We should have your email working in Outlook® 2010 in about 5 minutes. These steps work for most of our customers, but sometimes you might need to make some additional changes depending on where you live and which ISP(s) you use.
If you follow the steps below, and you can't receive or send email, please see Outlook 2010: Troubleshooting Email for help.
BEFORE YOU START: To set up Outlook with your email, you need to know your POP or IMAP Email Server Settings and ports. To find them, go to the InfoCenter and write down the information that displays under Email Server Settings.
To manually set up your email account, just follow the instructions below.
To Set up Email in Outlook 2010
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2010. Click File, and then click Add Account.
- At the bottom, select Manually configure server settings or additional server types, and click Next.
- Select Internet E-mail, and click Next.
- Enter Your Name and full E-mail Address.
- If you have IMAP, select IMAP for your Account Type. If you're not sure, select POP3. Use these settings for your incoming and outgoing servers, depending on the type of email you have:
POP3 Incoming mail server pop.secureserver.net Outgoing mail server (SMTP) smtpout.secureserver.net IMAP Incoming mail server imap.secureserver.net Outgoing mail server (SMTP) smtpout.secureserver.net
- Enter your User Name (your full email address) and Password, and select Remember password.
- Click More Settings.
- Click the Outgoing Server tab. Select My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and Use same settings as my incoming mail server. Select the Advanced tab.
- Next to Outgoing Server (SMTP), type 80. Then click OK.
- Click Next.
- Outlook 2010 will test your settings. When it’s done, click Close.
- Click Finish.
That's it. If everything is working OK, you should see some email messages. If you don't, press the F9 key on your computer to receive messages.
The Microsoft® Outlook® Setup Tool automatically configures your email account with Outlook. For the tool to work, your email must be hosted through us, you need to have Outlook installed on your computer, and you need to open Outlook at least once.
To Use The Outlook Setup Tool
- Download the Outlook Setup Tool, install it, and then run it.
NOTE: The Outlook Setup Tool is an executable file that you will need to save to your computer, and then launch.
- If applicable, select the email client you want to set up.
- Enter Your Name. This displays in the From field of your email messages.
- Enter your Email Address you want to use with this account.
- Enter your Password.
- If you want to access your email in Web-Based Email, confirm that Leave a copy of messages on the server is selected.
- Click Set Up Account.
- Click OK.
Some Internet service providers might not accept the Outlook Setup Tool's default settings; you might need to manually edit them. For more information, see Troubleshooting Problems Connecting to Email in Outlook Express.
The Outlook Setup Tool supports the following operating systems and email programs:
If you're not receiving email messages or you can't send messages, see Outlook 2010: Troubleshooting Email. Don't worry. There are a few things that can happen during the setup process. We'll help you investigate and fix them.
Enabling Email with SSL on Your iPhone
Email Client Tutorials
Troubleshooting Problems Connecting to Email in Outlook Express
Backing up Your Email with Outlook
Configuring Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express to Use a Secure Connection (SSL) for Email Messages
Leaving Messages on the Server When Using an Email Client
Your message was successfully sent.
There was an error in sending your message, please try again.
Have a question about the content of this article?