Common Issues When Setting up Email on Your iPhone
You can always use Web-Based Email to send and receive email messages. But you can also view your email with an email client. Use the following information to troubleshoot common issues when setting up email on an iPhone®.
If the error message Cannot Connect Using SSL displays when setting up an email address then troubleshoot with the following steps:
To Connect Using SSL
- Tap No, you do not want to try setting up the account without SSL, and then tap Save.
- Tap the email account you just attempted to set up, and then scroll down to tap SMTP.
- Tap the Primary Server.
- Tap OFF to turn the SSL setting on, and then tap Server Port to change it to 465.
- Tap Done.
- Tap AT&T SMTP Server and then tap OFF to turn the server on.
- Tap Done.
- Tap Account Info, and then tap Advanced.
- Verify the incoming Use SSL setting is set to OFF.
- Tap Account Info, and then tap Done.
There are variables involved when choosing port settings. Depending on firewalls, and service providers, it might be necessary to change your port settings to successfully send and receive email.
To Change Port Settings on an iPhone
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- On the Settings screen, tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap the email account you want to change.
- Tap SMTP.
- Tap the SMTP server you want to modify.
- Tap the Server Port field, and enter the preferred SMTP port: 25, 80, 3535, or, if the customer has SSL enabled, 465.
NOTE: As a courtesy, we provide information on the use of certain third-party products, but we do not endorse or directly support third-party products and we are not responsible for the functions or reliability of such products. iPhone is a registered trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All rights reserved. We are not affiliated with, endorsed or sponsored by Apple or Apple products.
Your message was successfully sent.