Moving a Domain Name out of Your Account
If you want to move a domain name from one account with us to another, you are in the right place to get started — it's called an Account Change. If you need to move a domain name to a different registrar, see Transferring Domain Names to Another Registrar.
After you complete the following steps, we send the owner of the receiving account an email with instructions to confirm the move. The recipient must confirm the domain name move within 10 days. After that time, the transaction times out and you must reinitiate it. For instructions on confirming a domain name move, see Accepting a Domain Name into Your Account.
NOTE: A domain name must be in active status to change accounts. Account changes can only be performed 5 days after the initial registration.
To Move a Domain Name Out of Your Account
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Next to Domains, click Launch.
- Select the domain name(s) you want to move.
- Under More, click Begin Account Change.
- Enter the Email address of the new owner.
- If you know the new owner's customer number, select I have... and then enter the account login information.
NOTE: If you do not know the new registrant's login information, leave this field blank, and then select Enter new details in step 7.
- In Domain's contact information, select one of the following:
NOTE: The new registrant's Customer # or login name might be required or optional depending on what you select here. For Enter new details, it is optional. For all other options, it is required. If entered, the value must match information on file in the receiving account.
- Enter new details — Enter contact information for the new registrant.
- Use details from specified customer account — Use contact information from the account you entered in step 6. (This will not work until the specified customer has setup their settings page to include all necessary information.)
- Do not change — Retain the contact information currently assigned to the domain name you are moving.
NOTE: If moving a country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD), you might have to select this option and have the new registrant contact our support department to update the contact information. For more information, see About ccTLDs (Country-Code Domain Names).
- Select Keep the current nameservers for this domain to retain the current nameservers for the domain name. If you do not select this option, we park the domain name when the new registrant activates it in the new account.
NOTE: The domain name loses any custom DNS when it moves to the new account.
- Click Next.
- If you selected Enter new details, complete the following, and then click Next:
- Organization (Optional) — The organization with which the new registrant is affiliated, if any
- I certify that the specified organization... (Optional) — Indicates you agree that the organization will be the legal registrant
- First name and Last name — The new registrant's first and last name
- Address 1 and 2 — The new registrant's street address
- Country — The country in which the new registrant resides
- City, State, Postal Code — The new registrant's city, state, and ZIP code
- Phone — The new registrant's phone number
- Fax (Optional) — The new registrant's fax number
NOTE: We display a list of the services that we will cancel after you move the domain name from your account. You cannot reverse a cancellation after you agree to the move.
- Read the Domain Name Change of Registrant Agreement, and, if you agree to the terms, select I have read and agree to the Domain Name Change...
NOTE: When you change the Organization or the First name or the Last name (in the absence of an Organization entry), you must agree to a 60-day lockdown to continue. If you have a .au domain name, a 60-day lock will not apply.
- If you want to transfer your domain name during the 60-day period, you should decline the Change of Registrant and transfer your domain name before updating the Organization, First name, or Last name fields. Otherwise, select I understand that, if I want to transfer this domain....
- Click Finish.
Locking and Unlocking Your Domain Names
Transferring Domain Names to Another Registrar
Preparing to Transfer Domain Names to Us
Accepting a Domain Name into Your Account
How do I resend the transfer IDs to my updated admin email address?
Transferring Domain Names to Us