Password Protecting a Directory in Your Shared Hosting Account
The Password Protect feature lets you limit Web access to your hosting account directories. When enabled, users must provide a valid user name and password when first accessing documents in the protected directory.
NOTE: This article applies only to Linux Shared Hosting accounts.
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Click Web Hosting.
- Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
- From the Tools section, click FTP File Manager.
- Select the directory or directories for which you'd like to set permissions.
- Click the Permissions icon.
- Select the Password Protect tab.
- Select Password protect directory.
- In the Password Prompt field, enter the message you would like to display to prompt users to enter a user name and password to access the directory.
- If you already have users listed, select the ones to whom you'd like to provide access to the directory. If you'd like to add a user, please follow the directions listed below.
- Click OK.
- In the Password protect tab in the Set Permissions section of FTP File Manager, ensure Password protect directory is selected.
- Click Add Users.
- Enter a User Name and Password for the user you'd like to add.
- Click Create User.
- Repeat steps 3-4 for each user to add.
- If you want users to have access the directory you originally selected, select them.
- Click OK.
For assistance setting the permissions on a Linux directory, see Setting Directory Permissions with Linux Hosting Accounts.