Creating Symbolic Links with Linux Hosting Accounts
Symbolic links, or symlinks, are files that only point to another file or directory, creating a forwarding effect. You can create symbolic links using your Linux Hosting account's FTP File Manager.
For example, a symlink in your root directory can provide easy access to a configuration file buried in subdirectories. So, if your domain is
coolexample.com, using symlinks you could point:
to the actual
To Create a Symbolic Link
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Click Web Hosting.
- Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
- From the Tools section, click File Manager.
- Select the file or folder you want to create the symbolic link for.
- From the More menu, click Symbolic Link.
- Name the file you wish to create as the symlink, using the appropriate file extension.
- Select the directory to create the symlink to.
- Click OK.